Re: stone lantern

  • Subject: Re: stone lantern
  • From: "Judy Browning" <judylee@lewiston.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:21:25 -0800

Check at your local stonemason or quarry. We have had a couple of folks here start businesses selling stone for walls. Both of them also shape & drill stones for fountains. Seems like they could use the same drill to shape a stone into a lantern shape. If it doesn't have to be all one rock, check out your local Home Depot or similiar for broken slate tiles. Or buy rocks about the right size at the quarry. They usually sell them by the pound or by dimension. You could mortar them onto a hypertufa shape and imbed the hinge in the hypertufa as it's formed. Or stack & mortar them & fit the hinge into a seam in the mortar. You might have to get creative about door placement, but I know you are creative enough to do something fabulous.
Time is always the big question, but it might be quicker to make than find.
Good luck. If you really want to buy one, try art museum shops. MOMA has a great catalogue. Maybe check imports from Europe, Scandinavia, Central & South America or Australia. Hope you can find or make what you want. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jesse Bell" <justjess01@gmail.com>