no greenhouse question
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: no greenhouse question
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:40:01 -0500

Don't ask me why I did this, I had a reason.

I ordered thirty #1grade Sherbet Cocktail Phlox which arrived the other day. I thought perhaps they'd hold a few weeks in my cool garage, guessing 45-50 degrees but, no, when I checked yesterday they were poppin'. So this morning I potted them up in quarts (they were smaller than the #1s I've gotten from other suppliers), gave them a gentle watering in and set them on the counter in the garage in front of the only window, which faces south.

It's 26 degrees out, will be 14 tonight. This is too cold for them to go in my Florida room. It's one of those old aluminum frame jobs with storm windows. Drafty, cold as the outdoors except when the sun shines. In March I hope to put some risers on the cement floor and move the pots out there.

But for now, is there anything wrong about keeping them in the garage? Will they get scraggly without a lot of sun? How soon, at what day/night temps would it be safe to put them outside? If they do ok I hope to bump them up to trade gallons at the end of March.

Any suggestions?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5