Re: I think it's spring
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: I think it's spring
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:22:34 EST

Most years I force branches from my flowering quince, but
so far this year I have not been able to get near the bush
to cut branches because of the icy crust on the foot of
snow surrounding it.  Boy, am I ever tired of this winter!

The quince bush is one that I grew from a fruit I stole and
put in my pocket when I visited the botanic garden in the
Golden Gate Park in San Francisco in the late 60s. It's
color is much deeper than the average.  I have had a
landscaper offer to buy it because of its striking color.
And it produces fruit - not really edible - that make beautiful
jelly each year.
APL

In a message dated 2/24/2011 7:17:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,