Re: Re: Old vs. New
  • Subject: Re: Re: Old vs. New
  • From: James Singer <inlandjim1@q.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:02:54 -0800

My thought when I read the article was "much ado about nothing."
Unfortunately, it's like too many about-gardening articles. Which is why long
ago (about the time when Organic Gardening went slick) I quit reading any of
the so-called gardening writers except Barbara Damrosch and a couple of others
(Vern Nelson, for one), and ditched my subscriptions to the dead-tree

There are 40 million poor persons in the United States. Why?

On Feb 29, 2012, at 7:11 AM, TeichFauna@aol.com wrote:

> [...]
> more chemicals, having lawns, etc. and those  on the left more organic,
> native, etc.???  And as Kitty says, as we get  older, less energetic......go
> whatever works best and is easiest?  I  do remember in my earlier gardening
> years trying very hard to only  garden one way or the other (totally
> organic, totally native), less  compromising, and found that it was far too
> effort.
> I don't see sparks fly between the organic and non-organic groups as much
> as I do between the native purists and the rest of the gardening population,
> including commercial, govt, etc.   I did find it very interesting that
> there was mention of areas in the subdivisions being natural and native,
> others that were more manicured and tailored.  One thing that I've  found
> here is that the Home Owners Associations frown heavily on native or
> natural....especially when it is not what they would consider  maintained.
> of which will even consider a compromise, thus  never resolving anything.
> The native folks can't fathom that a  native could be considered an
> invasive, simply because it is native......and the  HOA's can't fathom the
> that not all natives are weedy.    Again, I stand somewhere in the
> middle.....and successfully have a mixture of  both native and non-native
> non-invasive)  with no complaints  from the HOA, but plenty from my purist
> friends.
> Among gardening clubs, MG's, societies, etc. here, for a time being (in the
> 80s, I was told) many of the groups were dying out due to the fact that
> all the  members were older, and no new blood (so to speak) was coming in.
> The  majority of the members were those that had been members for many many
> years.  This is still true for one or two.  Gardening groups in  general
> considered social, rather than interest groups.   However, it seems that
> since the Internet, there has been a renewed  interest, dismissing the
> that plants and gardening are only for the  old, and a change in societies
> (anyway) toward being interest groups with  furthering education rather than
> social.   Most groups  (especially the individual plant societies)  have
> seen more young  members in their late teens and twenties (apartment
> become  interested and joining.   I do notice that the younger generation
> tends to specialize more, I did too, having a cactus collection as  early as
> I can remember,  thinking that vegetable and flower gardening  was boring,
> done by the "older generation".   Still no  increase in members in the child
> rearing age group, unless they  are childless.   The greatest numbers are
> those in ages 40 and up,  with many new members. I find that among the
> Societes that men tend to  specialize more than women.  Women tend to enjoy
> different types of  gardening (plants) more or less equally.  Men on the
> hand, tend  to pick one or two, and stick with that almost exclusively.
Also I