Re: RE: sod< leaves now lasagna bed

how long before the newspaper breaks down?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pamela J. Evans" <gardenqueen@gbronline.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 3:33 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] RE: sod< leaves now lasagna bed

> It's a garden bed constructed like you would put together a lasagna dish
(in layers).  The book Lasagna Gardening by Patricia Lanza got the whole
thing going.  Excellent book, I borrowed Jesse's copy.  Basically, you start
w/ lots of newspaper and raw materials.  You wet down the newspaper and lay
a thick layer over the sod. then a layer or straw, grass clippings, garden
trimmings, green kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, leaves, peat, sawdust,
manure - whatever you have and just lay it down in layers.  Newspaper, peat,
more paper, grass clippings, etc.  You generally end up w/ a bed between 12
and 18" high (it will settle some over time).  I edge mine w/ cinder blocks
just to keep it neat, but you can use anything you like.  This creates a
very nice, nearly weed free raised bed.
> And it's a LOT easier on the back than double digging rock hard clay and
amending w/ compost, lava sand etc.
> It's a GREAT idea and I have grown my best crops of peppers ever in my
lasagna bed.  I add shredded leaves to it every fall and it is enriched by
the kelp I use on the peppers all summer and fall.  Basil in this bed grows
chest height and quite bushy!  No fungal problems either.
> Does that help??
> Pam
> From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com>
> Date:  Wed,  1 Jan 2003 15:00:36 -0500 (EST)
> > Okay, since I'm sure there are plenty on this list who will say there is
no such thing as a dumb question, here goes...What exactly is a lasagna bed?

> >Melody, IA (Z 5/4)
> >
> >"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."
> >--Albert Einstein
> >
> > --- On Sat 12/28, Pamela J. Evans < gardenqueen@gbronline.com >
wrote:From: Pamela J. Evans [mailto: gardenqueen@gbronline.com]To:
gardenchat@hort.netDate: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 09:46:55 -0600Subject: RE: [CHAT]
RE: sodYou can plant a lasagna bed the same day you build it.  Wish y'all
could see my cardinal convention right outside this window!!  :-)