Re: "Infecting oak trees"

I would too, except I'm a bit too far "up north" for both those orchids and live oaks (for some of us, "north" is above z6! Happy New Year!
Cathy

On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 03:20 PM, jim singer wrote:

midst all the festivities, i guess i didn't answer you, mariana. sorry. at the nursery, we have probably 3,000 container-grown live oaks. one gallon to 65 gallon [and up] size. we probably sell 500 30 gallon and up a year. my idea is that a 65-gallon, 3" caliper live oak with a native orchid on it is easier to sell [and will command more money] than a similar tree without the orchid. many, many of our oaks are used to meet environmental requirements on commercial properties. but a large number of them are also used to meet those same environmental requirements in tract home landscapes. and my suggestion is that many of the folks from up north, who have to buy a 65-gallon live oak no matter what for their new retirement tract home, would pony up a few extra dollars for one with a native orchid on it.

i know i would.