Re: herbs and spices; OT

I appreciate what you're saying, Melody, but I think some have different reasons to participate in this list than I do. I'm on Internet lists to learn, although I have no objection to the occasional off topic chatter. But when one post gets blown into forty or fifty posts, examples and comparisons being stretched into absurd proportions extending over weeks at a time, it's not a productive experience for me. Margaret L

I think this is one of those times where e-mail definitely can be quite
emotionally confusing...I think, Margaret, that everyone lauds your
ability to be very effective in descriptive language...I know I do.
However, minus the face to face contact with people while they are
"speaking", it gets difficult to interpret stuff and i think people were
only trying to have a little fun with this herb/spice subject. This is
where emoticons definitely come in handy!! I find that almost always, it
is easy to let people know you are being less than serious just by
adding a LOL or a :-) to your message in the appropriate place...then
there is no confusion as to how it should be interpreted. People depend
on body language and facial expressions to convey and interpret verbal
messages...things that are conspicuously absent in this type of forum,
unless people make the effort to use what we have available to us. :-)
Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Mon 12/30, Josh Haskell < haskell@ncweb.com
> wrote:From: Josh Haskell [mailto: haskell@ncweb.com]To:
gardenchat@hort.netDate: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:56:22 -0500Subject: Re:
[CHAT] herbs and spices; OTMargaret, Your definition is right to the
point and very clear; it helps a lot.I just wanted to try to complicate
the issue a bit. Josh----- Original Message -----From: "Margaret
Lauterbach" <melauter@earthlink.net>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net>Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 2:55
PMSubject: Re: [CHAT] herbs and spices; OT> Please help me here. My
vocation is communicator. When asked the> distinction between herbs
and spices, I quoted a renowned cookbook author> as writing that
"herbs are the leaves of fresh or dried plants, spices are> the
aromatic parts such as flowers, seeds and roots." How could I
have> made that any more simple? Thank you, Margaret L>>>
>And beer (with hops) is a spiced drink?>>
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the>
message text UNSUBSCRIBE
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with themessage

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com