Re: nightlife

In my 3rd year at IU in Bloomington I had an apartment above the Towne
Cinema.  It was built on a hill, front doors at the top of the hill.  My
bedroom window looked out into the back of the marquee, while the
sloping/sagging bedroom floor was built above the stairs to the balcony. I
could go out my apt door and right into the balcony (which was closed by
order of the fire dept)  Well, years before, The Towne had flooded, sewers
had backed up into the basement.  Apparently they never cleaned it up very
well.  So when the last show closed for the night the cockroaches that bred
in the basement came into the theatre for a late night snack.  Occasionally
one got lost and climbed the pipes up to my kitchen - not often - it was
too farm from home in the basement.  I almost died the first time I saw
one. HUGE - a good 5 inches!  I killed it with the only thing I had handy -
hair spray.