Re: Lawn substitutes

Hmmm....Peggy...'sun loving' is rather out of my area:-)  What about
one or more of the rug junipers? Or the sun-loving phlox (whatsis
name?  can't think of it right now) or some heaths or a mix of the

Or, try some ornamental grasses - Pennisetum 'Moudry' would seed
around and fill in between any plants you planted...whack it down in
early March is all you have to do to it.  Makes lovely low mounds of
shiny green foliage with nearly black bottle brush inflorescence very
late in the season.  If you want seed for that, I can get you any
amount tho' it's probably pretty soggy right now.  Or any of several
other ornamental grasses - unless you want it low.  Good old Liriope,
while doing just fine in shade, also does well in sun and is very
drought tolerant; deep rooted (good for holding slopes) and only
needs a haircut in very early spring.  Has some very nice variegated
clones, too. It's also easy from seed if you need vast quantities
tho' it takes about 3 years for seedlings to start looking like much.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :