Re: Questions...nursery, ornamec, and lenten rose

In a message dated 01/04/2003 1:22:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
holmesbm@usit.net writes:

>   * Same column indicated that Helleborus orientalis will work in dry
> shade under oak with summer watering.  I have dry shade with oaks in the
> back of my home, lake side.  I would love to try this but hope they would
> survive in all but prolonged drought.  Experience? Thoughts

My Hellebores don't live under oaks, but all are in dry shade and do quite
well.  Last summer's drought was severe, and I never watered them at all.  I
would guess you should water them in the first summer to get them
established.  What I like about them, in addition to the winter-flowering, is
that deer never touch them, and they make a good-looking foliage mound all
season.  Auralie.