Re: h. foetidus

Hello Chris,
    This is where some homework comes into play... the old and the new
cultivars/forms of Hellebores. H. foetidus has several out there, but you
need to be aware of what one is 'supposed' to look like as opposed to what
you are purchasing. Hellebores are not stable from seeds and there is a lot
of variation. Lets say a nursery purchase a plant to grow on for seed
production of H. foetidus "Wesker Frisk". Or, he/she purchases seeds to sow.
There will be a wide range in the features that make Hf. WF what it is. One
is supposed to discard to cull the seedlings and keep only those very close
to the visual concept of that particular cultivar. Most do not... hard to
throw away a seedling.... so we end up with "less than" or not exactly the
same. Over time that gets multiplies and one has nothing like the original.
    Incidentally, Hf WF should have cut foliage that when mature in winter
will be almost olive-black. The stems will be beet-red and the flowers will
have a narrow rim of maroon.
    I am working on several forms of foetidus and a couple of other crosses
that have wonderful foliage... just takes a few years to mature out those
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana