Re: RE: burning/healthcare -now time studies

And it is not just a matter of whether the person wants a shot, or any procedure. What about someone with fears, or just lots of questions? What about a situation where the nurse uncovers an issue that must be dealt with then, but is unrelated, or marginally related to the initial procedure?
On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 01:41 PM, Ray & Nora Edwards wrote:

Time studies are a waste of time in nursing because the human factor
isn't considered . You can't compare how long it takes to sharpen a pencil
with how long it takes to give a shot . There are to many variables with
human beings. If the person wants that shot it can take minutes, if they
don't it can take 5 people and an hour. Those of us who have worked in Psych
know that only to well.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] RE: burning/healthcare

Ceres: I found this very interesting information. Most of my life I have
prescribed to the belief that I am first, and foremost, an information
gathering type of person...you'd not believe the interesting bits of
stuff I have stored away in my brain for future reference. :-) I am well
acquainted with time studies--there was a whole series of time studies
done with nurses back in the 1940's or 50's that have been allowed to
rule the payment system for insurance since that time and therefore
drives the nursing salary market to this day...too bad no one has
thought to re-do those old studies in today's current technology driven
healthcare environment (oh, I'm sure they've tried but those old studies
are very powerfully entrenched with insurance companies!)...They say
they know precisely how long it takes a nurse to make a bed, empty a
bedpan, give an injection, mop a floor, feed a patient, etc. etc ad
infinitum. Interesting way to spend your life...analysing the minutes
and seconds of a workday...Thanks for the info...

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein

On Mon 01/06,
Cersgarden@aol.com wrote: Melody, there is a chemical engineering degree
which provides lots of opportunities. ... An Industrial engineer works
with time &amp; method. You may have heard the term 'time study'. This
is the work of an IE. We set the work standards for the production
employees providing micro elements of work &amp; time allotted for the
most efficient method to maintain the tolerances and quality as rqd by
Deere yet provide an incentive opportunity for the production employee.
... This is probably more than you ever wanted to know. Best of luck to
your son and his interests. Ceres

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com