Re: terms/hollyhock??

I have done several hours worth of searching on the net and what I've
found thus far is this...there are apparently hollyhocks that are
annual, biennial, short-lived perennial, and long lived perennials. I
have found at least a few mentions in various places of certain
hollyhocks that bloom every year and live forever, mostly talking about
antique/hierloom varieties. It is also apparently a method of attempting
to control rust in this very susceptible plant to consider it an annual
or biennial and then pull the plants once blooming is done--at least two
hollyhock gardeners I found on the web cited this as their method of
rust control. Now, after all this research, I feel driven to find out
more about botanical types of info...our local university offers a
degree in Botany...wonder if they'd let me audit a couple of lower level
classes? Hmmmm...that's all I need, one more thing to do. Would
appreciate any help anybody out there can give me in finding out how a
hollyhock comes to have a rhizomous or tuberous root system...Thanks.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)