Re: poke

But this "weed" must have its place, as it has not taken over the eastern US, despite the fact it is native. What are its natural controls?
Cathy
On Friday, January 10, 2003, at 10:50 PM, Marge Talt wrote:

From: Pamela J. Evans <gardenqueen@gbronline.com>
 We don't seem to get that here.  Does it not like heat or clay
soil??
----------

Pam, as far as I can observe, it will grow anywhere; loves clay and
thrives on heat.  Just count yourself incredibly lucky if you don't
have this weed.  It is, I must say, a majestic plant and I can well
see why it is considered ornamental by those who are not over run
with it.  Can get upwards of 12' - 13' feet tall; foliage turns red
in fall; red stained stems; black berries...AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE
IT IS!
Will flower and set seed at a very early
age.  A menace akin to garlic mustard IMO.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade