Re: poke

Have no doubt that the poke is performing exactly as you have described, and I would certainly never plant the stuff, but unlike kudzu, which has no natural controls here, poke must have had something that kept it in check, or the first European immigrants to this country would have had to hack through a jungle of the stuff. Of course to really answer this question would probably require finding someone crazy (or desperate) enough to do a dissertation on the botany and paleobotany of poke. (What family does it belong to, anyway?)
Cathy