From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Kitty
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 7:15 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] everbloooming calla lilies

Theresa,
Apparently callas can be evergreen.  I found this at PlantZafrica:

http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantwxyz/zantedeschaeth.htm

"The genus is restricted to the African continent with seven species
recognised: Zantedeschia aethiopica, Z. albomaculata, Z. elliottiana, Z.
jucunda, Z. odoratum, Z. pentlandii and Z. rehmannii. The common arum [lily]
is found from the Western Cape through the Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal,
Mpumalanga and into the Northern Province. It is evergreen or deciduous
depending on the habitat and rainfall regime. In the Western Cape it is
dormant in summer and in the summer rainfall areas it is dormant in winter.
It
will remain evergreen in both areas if growing in marshy conditions which
remain wet all year around.

"Zantedeschia aethiopica grows from 0.6-1 m but may get taller in the shade.
It has lush looking dark green leaves with an arrow head shape. The size
varies according to the amount of shade. The flowers appear in a main flush
from August to January, although there may be the odd flower at other times
of
the year also. "

Perhaps, as mentioned before, your neighbor keeps hers wetter and better fed
than you do.

Kitty