Re: poke

Well, Auralie, could have something to do with it - anything is
possible with plants:-)  Could also be humidity, soil - lots of
things.  I do know that it is rampant here when it gets a chance.  I
always cringe when I see it for sale - that people actually spend
money for one.  Now, the variegated forms are simply beautiful plants
- I would love to have one if it were NOT a pokeweed:)  The species
is also a beautiful plant - but not in the quantity it wants to be
in.  It is sold as an ornamental in the UK where, I guess, it does
not have such world domination tendencies.  I have learned to loathe
it...you get that way after 8 hours of pulling the durn things and
digging them and cutting them back and finally, in exhaustion, just
stomping on them when the sweat is pouring down your face and you'd
much rather be doing almost anything else, including digging

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :