Re: poke, immortal weeds

I mentioned that I have fewer weed problems because of the crowded nature of
my garden, but it wasn't always the case.  I fought bindweed for years and had
pretty much won out, but it still sneaks in on occasion and twirls up anything
it can get a grip on.  Bindweed is a horrible problem in some of our grounds
plantings at the Display Gardens.  No particular group is incharge of these
areas so they tend to get overrun until someone gets to them on a workday.  We
will never be rid of bindweed there.

On the other hand, I have created a weed problem for my neighbor who borders
my lot and grows nothing but grass for which he does nothing but mow.  My
Knautia cast volunteers from the inner side of my timber walk to the other
side.  They seemed ok there so I let them grow.  But then those seeded into
his lawn.  The rosettes lay flat for him to mow over and keep getting bigger.
He mentioned to me last year that he didn't know where this new weed was
coming from, as most of his weeds come from the neighbor on his other side who
has a lawn made up of a combination of plantain, dandelions, and assorted
other weeds.  (I don't know if there's any grass left over there.)  So I've
yanked the outer knautia and am working on fixing that part of his lawn.

Kitty