Re: zones

In a message dated 01/19/2003 8:22:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
grdengrl@optonline.net writes:

> It's so cold that I'm really concerned for the passiflora incarnata, and
> some of the miniature roses that I planted over the summer of 2002!

Your miniature roses should be all right - they seem quite hardy here in zone
5.  I have one that has grown in a fairly exposed spot for more than 20
years.  The passiflora is another matter - we can't keep it here so this cold
might do it in.  This is the first really cold winter since about '96, which
was a humzinger.  I don't really think the climate change is going to be that
reliable in our lifetime, or at least mine, which won't be that extensive.  I
have a friend in Brooklyn who grows all sorts of things that we can't even
think of here in Westchester, and she always expresses surprise that we can't
grow what she does.
Stay warm, Auralie