Re: fat birdies

In a message dated 01/23/2003 7:35:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gardenqueen@gbronline.com writes:

> Do robins fly South for the winter? We still have them, but y'all never
> mention them up North. We also get the goldfinches in winter duds. But
> they go back North in summer. I've seen them up in Claremore - very
> pretty in their summer/mating plumage

Robins definitely fly South for the winter.  Once in a while one doesn't go
with the flock, and looks miserable for a while before it disappears - I've
never known whether it finally went South or just died from the cold.  One
year a large flock of migrating robins that had stopped to feast on dogwood
berries in my backyard was definitely being harrassed and hurried on by a
couple of mockingbirds.  The mockers were obviously telling the stupid robins
to get a move on.
Goldfinches stay here all winter, but lose their gold color.  An early sign
of spring is when you begin to see little yellow tufts in the olive-drab
winter plumage.  Auralie,Z5