RE: fat birdies

One possible explanation is that "south" is a relative term.  I have read
and observed with our goldfinch population that we are the northern terminus
for our summer population, and the southern terminus for our winter
population, birds who summer further north and migrate south this far for
the winter.  So, my yard is the northern edge of the (summer) territory for
one group, the southern (winter) edge for another more northerly group, and
a passing through cafe for others on their way further north or further
south as the season dictates. (Hope that makes sense & don't try to say it 3
times fast!!)

I've read this is true, but since I don't band them, I have no empirical
proof.

The robins all seem to head further south than this, but I'm sure there are
northerly/southerly groups of them, too.

I saw 'my' male bluebird yesterday.  I haven't seen him for some time &
figured he had gone south this year, but he's still here, freezing his poor
little tail off.  I put some mealworms out for him but I think the
mockingbird ate most of them.

Libby
Maryland zone 6