"Sometimes we wait through most of the night for the temperature to drop low
enough to light the fires. Midnight may tell the story. If the temperature
has hovered around 32 until that time, then suddenly begins to dip down,
slowly but inexorably, we are ready, and watch the thermometer as though the
life of a dying man were at stake. The poorest helper, recruited from his
clearing in the flatwoods, with not a single orange tree of his own, knows
that this is a matter of life and death for something rich and fabulous and
beautiful that he longs for as his own, but will fight to save for a more
fortunate other. If we have 28 degrees just before daylight and it has not
previously dropped to this mark, we are inclined to risk it and to disband,
saving the precious fat pine for a worse night."

- Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, Cross Creek, chapter titled "Winter."

 She knew much more than many men about our Florida citrus & JIM- I did
cover my limequat with a sheet tonight...& the Camellia 's-FULL of buds &
bloom-hate to loose those beauties, so cut what I could
for inside---DOWN to 22 tonight!! Hope everyone stays warm--our houses here
are very draughty!