bananas... are they on the way out?

Hey Jim and other southern warm weathered usually gardeners... this came
thru on a different list, wondering how true it is?

Donna

<snip>
By the way, speaking of bananas.I saw an article on my MSN homepage
about bananas.  They forecast that bananas will not be an affordable
fruit found in grocery stores within ten years.  Turns out that
commercial bananas do not set seed.  They are all grown from pups
(suckers) from another plant.  The article forecasts that since the
bananas are all identical, with no genetic diversity, that a virus or
parasite could easily wipe them out.  The call was put out for someone
to find a way to breed bananas and get some genetic diversity while
still maintaining the fruit that we love!
<end snip>