Re: pruning caryopteris shrubs

Thanks Ceres! I read (somewhere) that you should cut them down to about
3" from the ground, but that seemed a touch severe to me. I sent the
Dirt Doctor an e-mail on the subject but he just uses e-mails to answer
in his columns and he may not use mine. And I needed to know pretty
soon, since I'll start pruning roses in about 2 weeks. It takes two
weeks to prune them since I fill up my dumpster twice, so I have to do
it two successive weeks and be done by mid-February. Otherwise the first
grand flush of blooms is delayed and I just live for that!

Ususally the last week of March or first week of April here. I usually
invite all my friends over the first week in April to really enjoy them
at their finest - bigger blooms before the major heat sets in and no
yellow leaves from black spot which comes later on. My spraying program
keeps it under control, but I still get some blackspot because of the
humidity (I'm less than 2 miles from our reservior). But for a blooming
season that lasts about 9 months, I can spray!! But April is truly
glorious here, I assure you!

thanks to all who answered.

Pam
which is inevitable once it gets hot.