Re: now plant clubs

I'm not sure what's done in other states, but at the prep sessions for
Horticulture entries for Georgia Flower Shows (at least the ones I've
attended) we are encouraged to grow the best plants we can using good
gardening practices that are environmentally friendly. The prep classes then
tell us to choose the best specimen we can and how to display it properly.

They stress selecting specimens that are clean, insect and disease free, and
with good color and size for the species or variety grown.

Entries are judged against a standard, and I've seen entries marked down
because a flower was too blowsy or large for the standard.

Me, I just try to do right by my plants. I rarely fertilize, rather use a
good mulch and topdressing with compost. I water when water can be spared,
infrequently but deeply. I can't remember the last time I used a fungicide,
nor any insecticide stronger that water (preferred) or maybe (rarely) some
ultrafine hort oil for a scale or whitefly infestation if it seems to be
getting out of hand.

Mostly I encourage the  beneficials and let them do the work for me.

It must work. I took home 5 out of 5 Blues at our most recent show. ;-)