Re: OT-Reverse sexism?!

In a message dated 1/29/03 2:35:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, Zemuly@aol.com

> mortgage.  I only changed my name the first time I got married and took it
> back the minute I was not -- never changed it again because of all the
> paperwork and the fact that I like it

There is a lot of precedence for women keeping their own names.  The Queen of
England keeps hers.

My mother was an only child, female,  in a family with no male to carry on.
She kept her name and used it all her life as it was customary to do this in
some European countries.  She could have passed on the name to a male child
to please the patriarchal ideas of these families.

She was a nurse and licensed with her family name.  She refused to change the
license all the years she worked.  She is comfortable with this and I do not
remember ever questioning her.

Guys wanting to comment are not going to be comfortable here as they have not
been wearing these shoes.  The discourse will not go away for a few more

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4