Tony's Tree

Well, All, I've been away from the computer for several days - Lordy
is my inbox now in a mess.  Anyway, as you may remember, I said I'd
emailed Diana Reeck of Collector's Nursery about a tree
recommendation.  Bless her heart, she got right back to me and this
is what she said:

"Anyway, two trees that I can think of right off hand that do well
are Stewartia or any of the Cornus kousa selections. They both have
nice form,. good flowers, great fall color and interesting bark. (The
stewartia especially),  We don't have any in stock right now, but
most local nurseries carry nice size plants in the spring, but for a
mail order source out here you might try Gossler Farms in
Springfield, OR. He usually carries nice size plants in a minimum 1
gallon pot, and maybe larger. "

"You're right about Pacific Dogwoods - not a good choice - they are
even dying in the wild. "

Sad to find the Pacific Dogwood is not a good choice and even sadder
to see they are dying in the wild - don't know why, but that's sad.

Haven't caught up on the list mail so not sure what has happened
about this in the last week or so...expect I shall find out as I wade
through the messages:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade