Re: now weather, now Cats & Cold

When I moved to Denver in the late fall of 1984, I had a half-Siamese, cross-eyed, blue-eyed cat named "Lucy," who was born and bred in California. My wife, who had preceded me to Denver, had bought a third floor condo for us to live in. The condo had a balcony. After Lucy and I had been there a couple of days, it snowed a bit and the balcony collected about a foot of the white stuff.

Well, wouldn't you know, Lucy decided right then that she had to go out on the balcony. Really desperately had to go see what that white stuff was. So I opened the sliding glass door and she bounded out. She hit the snow. And then she went 3 feet straight up, turned 180 degrees in mid air and landed back in the living room.

Like Mark Twain's cat on a hot stove, Lucy never again showed any interest in going out on the balcony--even during the next summer.

I've always been thankful that my wife's employer shipped us back to California before winter came again, otherwise I probably would have avoided the balcony, too.