pine cone recall

FWIW folks... a friend sent me this notice. I attempted to verify that
it is true and seems to be....

Donna

--snip---
Subject: Pine Cone Recall

 The Animal and Plant Inspection Service (APHIS) issues a national
recall on pinecones originating in India. These pinecones are sold both
singly and in potpourri. The recall was issued because two different
insect pests have been
intercepted: Chlorophorus strobilicola, a wood-boring beetle native to
India,
and larvae of a seed-feeding moth belonging to the genus Cydia. Both
pests
are not known to exist in the United States.

As of December 18, 21 UPC codes are listed in the recall; however, the
number
of recalled UPC codes continues to expand as state and federal
inspectors
locate additional product. Pinecones infested with live insects have
been
found in at least 11 states, including New Jersey, New York, Maryland
and
Delaware. Stores named for the recall are Jo-Ann Fabrics, Lowe's, Dollar

Tree, Safeway, Frank's Nursery and Kmart.  If you've purchased pinecones
or
potpourri from these stores, please check them for these insects.
Contact
the stores for possible refunds and follow the procedure below to
destroy the
insects.  They have
no natural predators here in the states.  Michigan has a huge evergreen
population. It would be detrimental to let this bug free in our state.
In
addition, please contact me and I'll send word to the Army Environmental

Center.

Consumers and store managers should take note of potpourri and pinecone
products purchased in the last few months. The cones should be checked
for
small, circular holes (exit holes) near the base of cones. Sawdust-like
material in the bottom of wrapper bags and boxes or in the cracks
between the
scales of pinecones are good indications of insect activity.

Potpourri and pinecones with any indication of insect activity should be

double-bagged and tied securely, and then placed in the freezer for a
minimum
of 2 days. After that time, the bags can be disposed of in the trash.

Some states report that live beetles have been emerging from pinecone
packages. Homeowners with infested pinecone potpourri may notice small
(0.5
inch long) Chlorophorus strobilicola beetles, especially along window
sills
and ledges. The beetles are black with silver grey lines, and have very
long
antennae. In this instance, potpourri should be double bagged, frozen,
and
then disposed of.

Pinecones recalled will be destroyed in an APHIS-supervised procedure.
APHIS will now require mandatory fumigation for all pinecones from India
entering
US ports of entry. Products packaged in impermeable wrappers will be
refused entry unless they are removed from the packaging to allow
effective treatment.

--end snip---