From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 2:39 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] orange blossoms

It's a difficult [not stupid] question to answer, Kitty. Take the
Valencia orange, for example. The Valencia is the most "popular" orange
in the world. It is the orange that produces about 90 percent of the
world's orange juice. Like most oranges, it produces only one crop in
12 months, but at this time of year, the tree may have both this year's
crop, which can be harvested any time between christmas and, say,
easter, and next year's crop of marble-sized fruit.

On the other hand, many lemons and limes, will flower and fruit year
around. The Eureka lemon, which is one of the two or three major market
lemons, flowers and fruits year around. It is also very finicky about
temperature, tolerating neither heat nor cool. It won't grow here in
Florida. Most production is on the Oxnard Plain, south of Santa
Barbara, California, right along the Pacific.

The only lemon that does well in Florida is the Improved Meyer, which
[as most know] is a lemon-mandarin hybrid, and not a true lemon. It is
reported to have its lemon parent's year-round flowering and fruiting
habit, but mine is more like the once-a-year mandarin parent [a
mandarin is that loose rind fruit usually called "tangerine" or
"clementine"].

I think my Key Lime has an interesting bloom-fruit cycle. It starts
blooming in mid summer. The fruit mature quickly, and if you keep
picking them, the bush [my pruning preference] keeps blooming and
setting fruit--apparently until it overwhelms me and I quit picking.

My "Honeybell" Mineola tangelo [tangelo is a hybrid of mandarin and
grapefruit] sets one crop a year and does not seem to bloom until the
current crop has been picked. I think this is the best of all citrus to
be eaten out of hand. Easy to peel, with the fantastic sweetness of the
mandarin, and the tartness of the grapefruit.

There is another tangelo, the Orlando, which is juicier and seedier
than the Mineola. It is used mainly for juice, which is quite good but
probably not available north of Florida.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10

http://www.hort.net/funds/