Re: 'Limerock Ruby'

Bonnie,
I may have to take that back somewhat.  What I wrote before may not be
EXACTLY true as it seems some of what was originally reported has changed.
Sweet Dreams is almost always considered a C. rosea hybrid, sometimes to the
point of being listed as C. rosea 'Sweet Dreams'.  But it does have other
contributing species in it somewhere, so rosea should not be included in the
name.  C.'Limerock Ruby', on the other hand, while I KNOW I read more about
its lineage when it first came out and that it is not a C.rosea cultivar,
mostly what you find now is something like: "found by Mary Ann Faria of
Limerock Plant Farm in Lincoln, RI. She believes it to be a natural cross
from unknown Coreopsis seedlings."  PDN gives some bacground notes:

PDN:
On Sweet Dreams: "This amazing new hybrid of Coreopsis rosea from Mark
Leonard of The Flower Mill in California, combines the new pink color with
the old habit of the more familiar upright coreopsis. "

On 'Limerock Ruby' : "was introduced through the Blooms marketing program.
Because one parent is the annual C. tinctoria, it has been tricky to
overwinter in all but the driest of winter soils."

To show that I'm not just imagining the verticillata parent, here's a recent
post in another forum.  It's not that I believe everything I find on the
net, but, I'm sure this person didn't just imagine it either; he had to have
read this somewhere:  "Limerock Ruby Coreopsis is of unknown parentage. It
has the foliage of Coreopsis verticillata and is most likely a chance
seedling of C. verticallata."

Re >  If you want to research such things, where is the first place
> you look?

Some of it I pick up in magazines, which is why I prefer (for example)
Horticulture to Garden Gate.  I feel I get more of the inside poop on things
there.  But a great amount of what I find out is from the net.  Google is my
friend.  I'm not as adept at the search engines as Marge and others on this
list, but when you try different combinations of key words and follow the
clues, you can find out more than they put on the tags.  Another reason I
like getting some of the better catalogs is that they'll share some of the
background with you, as shown above from PDN.  They have the inside track
and will let you in on some of the secrets of the trade.  Most other
catalogs figure you don't want to be bothered with the ins and outs of how
the plant was hybridized.

Kitty