From:  [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:12:19 +0000
Subject: Re: [CHAT] weather/gardening

> Different type of gardening too, from <br>> what I've gathered from
this group.... <br>> in warmer climates people tend to have <br>> more
struck me as odd, but then I realized that for many<br>people I know
this may be true. But personally, I grow very few annuals,<br>I grow
more perennials and shrubs here in the 'relative' north, Zone 5.<br>The
reason I have done so much more planting in spring and fall
is<br>because I'm a collector and a fiddler. Collector: There's
always<br>something new I want to try, whether my garden is full to
capacity or<br>not. Fiddler: Many folks I know never divide their
perennials. I do and<br>that means finding homes for the extras in my
yard or someone else's. I<br>need to move things around a bit to make
a garden that pleases them and then<br>maintain that garden, sharing or
pitching the excess, while the design<br>remains the same. Mine is
ever-evolving, mainly with perennials and<br>shrubs, and I like it that
used to. I personally very <br>> much enjoy a break also. I usually take
a break from gardening from <br>> Thanksgiving <br>> till Feb....with
some spring cleaning inbetween (Jan) as the weather permits <br>> Then
again in the heat of the summer for a month or so. WHich are basically
get the <br>> itch to be outside again. Fortunately though our gardening
seasons are long <br>> enough to where we dont' have to spend long hours
in the garden at one <br>> time....so like Pam I like to putter around
for an hour or so a day, but then <br>> still <br>> have time to do
other things too. It's theraputic and relaxing that way....less <br>>
burn out.<br>> Different type of gardening too, from what I've gathered
from this group.... <br>> in warmer climates people tend to have more

shrubs, etc. it seems. <br>> Things also grow faster, longer. Not much
planning and seed ordering, etc. <br>> unless it's a new bed that gets
put in, or an old one altered. Other than <br>> that, it pretty much is
left alone, with daily minor maintenance/grooming. I <br>> think the
only annual spring/fall planting we do is the vegetable garden and a
differences in gardening, etc. I've learned a lot. Like <br>> Gene
mentioned, we each have our pros and cons....and we're used to it.<br>>
1/14/2004 9:17:34 PM Central Standard Time, <br>>
gardenchat-owner@hort.net writes:<br>> Pam's used to being out there
every day. As much as I love my garden, I do<br>> >not want to devote my
life to it, I like the time away so I can come back<br>> >with renewed
interest. But maybe that's because that's the way I must<br>> >garden.
Don't know, it just is.<br>> <br>>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com