Re: Carnivorous plants

That's neat about learning connection.

The short one has a colleague who is teaching a "unit" on ancient Egypt. One of the undertakings is to mummify a chicken using the herbs, swaddling cloth, and other stuff that turned King Tut into a moribund Pillsbury Dough Boy. Kids, of course, are fascinated.

On Sunday, January 18, 2004, at 02:37 AM, Marge Talt wrote:

Of course not, Noreen.

That is so very neat about your friend and the local schools...good
for them!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
From: TeichFlora@aol.com

Jumping into Marge's thread here, if you don't mind.....
Of course pond water will work Donna.....after all most bogs are on
the edge
of some pond or stream, or at lesat in a low spot that collects
water much
like a pond does. Carnivorous plants thrive on that extra nutrient
base.

Thanks for the website, Marge. A friend, who owns a nursery here,
carries
many carnivorous plants. I asked her once how she has such great
diversity, and
turn over.....found out she orders a lot of carnivorous plants for
the local
schools. She said they love them, and the teachers found that it
really perks
an interest for biology and botony in the kids. Not just the boys
who tend
not to like the frilly plants that girls would find attractive, but
also the
girls. The kids then come to her nursery to purchase their own to
take home.

Noreen zone 9 Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 1/17/2004 11:02:37 AM Central Standard Time,