Re: Amer. Gardener article/Wild Greens

Well, add to your list any of the Euphorbias.....they don't touch
them and some ought to grow for you.  They also have never eaten my
Mahonia nor do they touch Hellebores, so if you don't have those,
they are something you can add to your garden:-)  I've also never had
them eat any ferns and there are tons of lovely ferns available.

You're right, they do not seem interested in ornamental grasses -
including Carex; never did they munch any of those.  Actually, I've
never had them go after any ornamental grass of any size.  Of course,
as you say, they will eat anything if they get really pushed, but....

I'd love to see some pix of your garden; the boulders sound very
neat.  I tend to like rocks except when I have to dig them up:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
> I'm not fond of them, either, but I've come to accept that they are
here and
> I've tried to develop a situation where we can exist with them.
Because of
> the way our land sits among huge boulders and slopes, and because
of its strange
> gerrymandered shape (the old man who built the house and sold it to
> thought he had given us all the bad parts and kept the reasonably
flat area for
> himself) there is just no way to fence it.  I love the boulders and
flow of the
> land.  We  are against an undeveloped portion of a county park on
one side, and
> to the other direction only a few hundred feet from an AT&T power
line, so
> there are woods on both sides, and large quantities of deer.
Shooting a few,
> even if it were permitted in this area, would not even make a dent.
 It has
> become a challenge to me to develop a landscaping style that is
somewhat deer
> resistant.
>  I have a small fenced vegetable garden - about 40'x40' where I
> sneak in a choice plant, but I find I have more and more flowers
there so I have
> tried to resist this trend. There are a couple of other small
pockets that I
> can protect with fishline where I have a few choice plants, but for
the most
> part I have become pretty good at using things they don't
particularly like.