Re: update on garden/bottle brush

Well, Donna, here's a really rough sketch as a picture is worth a
thousand words:-)

http://www.mtalt.hort.net/temp-a/sketch.gif

Figured it would be easier to draw than explain...but idea is to
extend the bed you already have on the other side of the chain link
fence in a curve, so it looks like it just continues through the
fence.  Put in a bed at the street corner of the house that bells
out; plant some taller, wider shrubs and/or shrubs and a small tree
so they would actually hide most of that area from the street,
creating a bit of a secret garden from that side.  Put in a path to
the electric meter and turn the grass into groundcover as it would be
hard to mow in there.  Path would actually take up most of the space
between the beds; realize this sketch is at no scale:-)  Hope it
makes sense.

At the end of the extended bed, where it hits the wood fence, put in
some narrow columnar shrubs or grow some vines up the fence.  Dunno
if you're trying to hide the fence, neighbor's yard or not.  If not,
you could just use some taller perennials there and let that fence be
their background.

I'd be inclined to plant a tall columnar something up against the
chain link fence between the meter and the existing garden so you
don't see the meter from where you took the photo.  That item would
start the new extended bed on the house side.  I just thought of that
and didn't put it in the sketch.

So, that's my suggestion, FWIW:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net