Re: NWF habitat certification

In a message dated 01/25/2004 11:23:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
L_Valentine@adelphia.net writes:

> You might be surprised.  The minimum requirement is only that you have or
> provide in some way food, shelter, and
> water - if we all waited until the reality equaled the vision there wouldn't
> be anyone in the program.
> If you have lots of wildlife, any kind, then your yard already has
> attributes making it a backyard habitat (the critters think so) - you should
> get your property certified and be counted as part of the group!

If that's all, we certainly qualify.  I have hesitated to enquire about the
program because I really don't wish to welcome the deer, though we certainly
supply them with food and water - although not by design.  We have many birds -
feed them well, too.  AS for other critters we know of rabbits, skunks,
opossums, raccoons, muskrats, groundhogs, chipmunks, white-footed mice, voles,
moles, frogs, and an occasional river otter in the summer - in addition to deer.
There are probably more out there than we are aware of.  I sometimes think it's
really amazing how much life is going on all around us all the time that we
are scarcely aware of.