Re: Amer. Gardener article/Wild Greens

Well, some of the euphorbs may not be hardy for you, but others will.
 I wrote two articles about hardy euphorbs back in '99 that may be of
interest to you - here's the URL to the first one; the second can be
accessed by hitting  the 'next article' link:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/shade_gardening/21316

Try my fav. Mahonia bealei (leatherleaf), it seems like a tough guy
in my garden.  Hardy to z 6.  My M. aquifolium always seems to get
winter leaf burn and the leatherleafs never do.

Now you mention it, they never ate the native goldenrod I've allowed
to grow, either.  Have pulled most of it out as it wants to conquer
the world, but some keeps coming back.

They never ate my Santolina, either nor the Salvia off. (purple leaf
form) nor rosemary or lavender...they leave scented leaves to last, I
think.

You're right about the 'safe' plants...they never touched my
Pulmonaria for years until I managed to keep them off the azaleas and
then they hit it, but it seems to come back pretty well.  They also
ate all the foliage off the Lunaria annua that year - and it's really
sharply fuzzy - where they'd never touched it before.

They have never hit my Pachysandra terminalis although I have read
they will get P. procumbens.  Another one they never browsed is
Stylophorum diphyllum, the wood poppy.  It has a rather caustic sap,
which may be why they leave it alone.  Another one they ignore is
Tovara 'Painter's Palette', which is now something else I can never
remember; it's one of the name shifting Polygonums.  Kitty may
remember what it now is.  I even put a bunch of seedlings outside the
gate just because they don't eat it and while they mowed about
everything else there, they didn't touch it.  I would imagine other
related plants - there are several out there on the market now -
would also be deer safe.  In all the years they were mowing my
garden, they never hit my Galanthus, either.  Now, it grows up
through Lamium galeobdolen (which they also ignore), so maybe they
never really found it.  They also left my Vinca, both major and minor
alone.

Never had them eat lamb's ears either...do you grow that ?

I finally had to give up on veggies, even the tomatoes, as you say,
because of deer - they even mowed the basil and you'd think that
would come under the scented leaf protection, but it doesn't.

And, they do not eat bamboo.  I think the high silica content is what
stops them there.

So, take pix and send them...I can add you to the garden tour site if
you'd like....email me and we can chat about it.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635
----------
> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
>
> I haven't tried any of the Euphorbias outside (have a couple of
cute
> succulent ones in pots).  You're right, they have never touched my
Hellebores.  I lost
> a Mahonia some years ago before the deer became such a problem, and
have
> never replaced it.  They nibble, but don't do much damage to the
Leucothoe that
> took its place. One thing they never seem to bother is goldenrod,
which I treat
> as a noxious weed in the flower beds.  Sometimes, when I am rooting
it out and
> swearing at it, I wonder why.  Surprisingly, though, I have tried
the
> cultivated varieties, "Fireworks," and "Golden Fleece" a couple of
times and they
> didn't even last a season.  Another plant that has never had much
damage is
> Santolina ericoides.  It is rather pungent, and they don't seem to
like "smellies."
>  That's not a reliable rule, however, for they will eat tomatoes
and
> marigolds which are quite sharp.  Also, they don't often browse
groundcovers - just
> too lazy to bend down, I guess.  I have had a miniature rose
growing below a
> path that runs along the top of a little ridge for years without
any trouble - I
> think it's just below their vision.
> I have a small bamboo - haven't a clue as to what species - I took
it from
> the garden of a Japanese house (had been brought piece by piece
from Japan in
> the 20s or 30s) that was being torn down to make way for a shopping
center.  The
> bamboo must be one of the clumpers, because I have had it for 30
years and it
> hasn't spread.  Grows about 4' to 5' tall.  The deer have never
touched so
> far as I have noticed.
> Sometimes I can grow a plant for several years without any trouble,
and then
> one day it will be gone.  I thought Pulmonaria were pretty safe,
but last
> spring they took out a whole patch.
>
> I'd love to send you  some pictures if I can get some nice ones
this spring.
> My garden doesn't meet anybody's standards for an orderly
landscape, but I do