From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of HarleyLady
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 6:24 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Flower show report/2 zone gardening

At 11:29 AM 1/25/2004 -0500, Kitty wrote:

>Your signature caught my eye....
>Many cold-weather northerners, like zone 4 Wisconsin, might winter in Zone
>Florida.  Are you a Zone 8 Oregonian wintering in Zone 10 Mexico?
>Finally a Zone 10er to chat with Jim!

Hi Kitty,
Yes, I'm a Zone 8 Oregonian and winter in the Baja desert on the Sea of
Cortez. It's a real challenge trying to garden down here. I think it's a
zone 10. It's not on the maps but that's what the low deserts of Arizona
are and our climate is similar except for the influence of the sea.  I miss
my northern garden a lot--the only way you can putter in a cactus garden is
very carefully !   Here I garden in sand and the water is precious, we buy
it by the tankerload. I am anxious to get home to Oregon before the weeds
take over and the slugs  eat everything. We will probably head back north
in April, though I'm hoping sooner. My DH would be happy living down here
year-round.  I love Mexico--but would love it more if were in, say, Todos
Santos which has wonderful soil and plentiful water.

It seems like every time I learn to garden in new conditions, my nomadic
husband is ready to move...gardeners should not marry gypsies! From desert
to NorthWET  coast, to valley clay, I've gained a lot of experience in
different environments.   And my plants should have frequent flyers miles
as much as they travel!  He says he's ready to settle down so we're in the
process of  selling some property so that we can buy our "final" home in
Oregon.  I want a garden where I can plant a tree and watch it grow.   I'm
tired of moving my gardens.

Eugene, OR (zone 8)
San Felipe, MX  (zone 10)