Re: habitat/ponds/plants

Wow!  Great ideas!  Thanks Chris!

Long Island, NY
Zone 6/7

"We don't do enough to exploit renewable energy resources."

In a message dated 1/27/2004 6:38:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
chris@widom-assoc.com writes:

I have hardy waterlilies in the tub garden.  I also add pots of water
loving perennials that I dig or cut from the garden. I like to use a
bouquet of HOUTTIANA CORDATA for color.  It will stay nice all summer.
I get a nice bunch and use a twist tie to hold my bouquet.  Then I
attach the bouquet to a submerged concrete block with some wire. The tub
garden is a couple of feet deep, so you don't really notice the block.
You can also use caladiums from the supermarket, lobelia, sedges, etc.
Water Hyacinths are usually $4.50 for one!  Water plants are pricey
around here, so I don't like to spend money on a plant that going to
die.  That's why I use hardy lilies.  Hicks carries a lot of water
plants, but I have a nursery just a few miles away that specializes in
water gardens (Scherer and Sons).  Then there's Suburban Water Gardens
in Dix Hills right next to Roslyn Nursery.  Even Lowes and Home Depot
carry plants for ponds, but I prefer to see them in active growth.