From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Chris
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 5:08 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] habitat/ponds/plants

Water plants are available many places locally.  Just ONE water hyacinth
is enough to populate your whole pond!  I stopped using it because it
multiplied so quickly and my pond is only 10' x7' (3' deep).  We use a
biological filtration system too. We don't add any start bacteria.  Just
like in a fish tank, you just rinse the filter material.  We never clean
the algae off the sides of our pond.  It makes a good source of
vegetation for the fish to eat.  We built the pond when our feeder
goldfish had out grown the 100 galloon tank we had moved them up to as
they got bigger and bigger.  Don't let anyone tell you that those
goldfish your kid wins at the fair always die!  We have some large koi
too.  Grown from babies of course.  We still have some foot long
tropicals in the house!  We do use a UV light for periods of time in the
spring to help clear the algae that floats in the water.

I have a big tub water garden on my deck that has no running water and
it stays very clear just by balancing the plants and fish (only mosquito
fish in this one).

It's great that more of us are getting our gardens certified.  Come on
everyone, doing it online is a piece of cake!

Long Island, NY
Zone 7