Re: was NE weather, now bamboo suppliers

Right, Jim, price is what I've noticed for any bamboo that's
unusual...way out of my range:-)  I'd agree about soil as well...I
think I have some type of Phyllostachys, which is all too adaptable
where soil is concerned:)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>
>
> Right, Marge, they ain't cheap. I'm only familiar with three
> clumpers--Buddha belly, oldhamii, and golden--all suitable for this

> area, although I expect oldhamii [which is a timber bamboo, 50-60
feet
> tall with 6 inch diameter culms] is hardy a couple of zones north
of
> here. It's a native of Japan and in its native habitat puts up with

> snow.
>
> Anyway, the price is more than $100 [retail] for any of them in
> 7-gallon size. I think I paid about $50 for my 3-gallon Buddha
belly.

> Another thing to consider with bamboo is soil. When I lived in the
> central valley of California, which is adobe to the center of the
> earth, I had a very nice, small stand of black bamboo, a runner.
And in
> that impervious soil, it was quite easy to keep it from running
> anywhere. But I'd be an idiot to plant it here in this black sand.
It