Re: was NE weather, now bamboo suppliers

They'll still spread, but much more slowly and much easier to control.

On Thursday, January 29, 2004, at 07:26 AM, Pamela J. Evans wrote:

So you think heavy clay would keep the spreading tendency in check?? If so, I may reconsider bamboo!

From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>
Date:  Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:04:47 -0500

Right, Marge, they ain't cheap. I'm only familiar with three
clumpers--Buddha belly, oldhamii, and golden--all suitable for this
area, although I expect oldhamii [which is a timber bamboo, 50-60 feet
tall with 6 inch diameter culms] is hardy a couple of zones north of
here. It's a native of Japan and in its native habitat puts up with
snow.

Anyway, the price is more than $100 [retail] for any of them in
7-gallon size. I think I paid about $50 for my 3-gallon Buddha belly.

Another thing to consider with bamboo is soil. When I lived in the
central valley of California, which is adobe to the center of the
earth, I had a very nice, small stand of black bamboo, a runner. And in
that impervious soil, it was quite easy to keep it from running
anywhere. But I'd be an idiot to plant it here in this black sand. It
would confiscate every square inch and them some by a week from
Saturday.