From: Wendy Swope [mailto: wendyswope@mindspring.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:38:26 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Garden for Alzheimer's Patients

Thanks for the feedback so far, ladies! <br><br>Melody, we will be
looking for old-fashioned flowers for the reasons you<br>mentioned. We
hope to rekindle those happy but misty memories, or at<br>least the good
would be eating these flowers?", I'm afraid<br>it IS the patients. The
garden is fenced, and they are allowed to roam<br>unattended there as
well as inside the building. The nurses on the unit<br>were the first
people to mention that plants would undoubtably be<br>ingested and so
needed to be safe. This facility is, like most, unable<br>to provide
one-on-one, 24-hour supervision. The best the staff can do is<br>try to
patient-proof the environment, keeping them inside the building<br>and
garden but out of storage areas, desks, cabinets, etc., so giving<br>the
home is dedicated exclusively to the care<br>of Alzheimer's patients,
and that's the place that does the best job of<br>keeping tabs on
ambulatory patients. I can't even begin to guess what it<br>costs to
house a family member

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com