From: Donna  [mailto: justme@prairieinet.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 05:59:45 -0600
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Bamboo and Chicago

Not that this will help you much- but here is the original story on
the<br>bamboo and
Behalf Of Melody<br>> <br>> Also, as a person who has been studying
phytoremediation of chemical<br>> contaminants/pollutants due to our
contaminated water supply, I can<br>tell<br>> you that many other plants
will do this **IF** the soil is of such<br>> composition that the
contaminant stays in the upper root zone long<br>> enough to be taken up
by the roots of the plant..i.e. sandier soils<br>that<br>> allow water
to leach through more easily also allow the contaminant to<br>> leach
down through the soil and into the subterranean water supply as<br>>
well. Riparian buffer zones that exist between cultivated farm
fields<br>> and nearby sources of water (streams/rivers/ponds) must be
of<br>sufficient<br>> width and variety of plantings as well in order to
slow down the<br>passage<br>> of water laden with farm chemicals on its
way to the water source.<br>> Poplar trees, switch grasses, reeds, etc.
are very good at filtering<br>> water but one must be careful not to
plant things that will invade and<br>> ultimately decimate the water
source itself. I'd be very curious to<br>see<br>> this article,
particularly in light of our little town's water<br>> troubles...could

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com