Re: habitat/ponds

I understand that trout can be caught by immersing your hand in the stream and waiting until a trout swims over it. Tickle its belly and it goes limp in ecstasy, and can be scooped up. Of course, you'd have to really be able to endure cold! I know, though, from personal experience, that herons will kill fish too big to eat...they spear them and leave them to die on the shore.
Cathy

Seems like a fish that big would be way too big for heron and egret
to tackle???  I knew they'd come to your hand for feeding, but didn't
know they liked getting rubbed...how neat.  Once up on a time, I fed
huge groupers and other sea fish standing in water to my knees off a
beach in the Caribbean - came right up and took bread out of my hand,
but didn't want to be petted; one of the thrills of my life.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net