Re: trees and other design elements

> "a house on Darwin Street."
sounds like a house whose landscape would have evolved over time ;+)

To be honest, there is a part of me that agrees with 'fitting in' to a
point.  There is individuality, and there's sticking out like a sore thumb.
While I would be glad to see a soft yellow apartment complex, I would be
taken aback by my next door neighbor painting his house hot pink with orange
trim.  However, I would respect his right to do so, while I begged, pleaded,
and bribed him to PLEASE not do it.  Many houses in my 40 yr old addition
look alike; they are (from outside front view) of only 2 or 3
designs....except mine.  I have only found 3 other houses of my same design
in this city, each about 12 miles away, each in different dirrections.  I
like the fact that it is different from every other house in my

There is another woman in my neighborhood who has gone into gardening in a
big but different way.  She has a back yard 4 times the size of mine but
concentrates everything in the front.  Her various islands of trees, shrubs
and perennials almost totally obscure the small home.  She doesn't do much
in that big back yard.  I concentrate more creativity in the back while
trying to make my front yard plantings flow into my neighbor's, creating a
more peaceful change rather than a jolt.  I also want the plantings to
compliment the house, not hide it.  Yet I refuse to have my front plantings
"hug" the house.  They extend out from it.  This is what makes it different
from my neighbors' landscaping.

So now Donna has me thinking about tree count.  My lot is 60x120 with the
house and drive taking up about 40x50 of that.  So on approximately 5000 sq
ft I've got:
2 Dogwoods
5 redbuds
1 15ft yew
1 3-trunk clump birch
1 Norway Maple
2 Silver Maples
1 Magnolia 'Leonard Messel'
1 Yoshino Cherry
2 Newport Flowering Plums
2 15ft Canadian Hemlocks
1 Blue Spruce

In addition some neighbors' conifers give me borrowed backdrop.  That's the
tall stuff that can qualify as trees.  Many other shrubs ring the property
but are less than 12 ft. in height.  When I started planting my lot in 1990
it had only those 3 maples( planted 1965) and the blue spruce was 18 inches