To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 11:13 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Gingers - geophytes?

At the moment I don't have access to all my books, so maybe you can help. Are gingers geophytes?

The family Zingiberaceae, Gingers, include lots of plants that have been
mentioned on this list. I've only grown one Curcuma but I've heard some
of you mention growing Hedychiums and Zingibers among others in the
family. I bought my Curcuma "bulbs" from Odyssey.

In looking through Bryan's huge book on Bulbs (covers all geophytes),
though, there is no mention of Gingers. I looked a little online and so
far the only mention I have found was on Curcuma alismatifolia at Dave's

"[Propagate] By dividing rhizomes, tubers, corms or bulbs (including offsets)"
which is a most stupid comment IMO because this particular plant cannot
be all of those. However, it does indicate to me that, as I suspected
from what I purchased from Odyssey, they are indeed some sort of
geophyte - but which kind? I realize that within any one genus in the
family some species could be rhizoomes, some bulbs, some fibrous roots,
as in the genus, Iris. But so far I have found little info.

I can check other books when I get home and I'll check further on the
internet, but I thought some of you might also be able to give me a