From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 9:40 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Death in the (plant) family

My Clivia has died!  I bought this plant as a 1-inch seedling at the
Flower Show in about 1985.  It has done extremely well for me, and has
bloomed most years, and has been divided several times.  A couple of
years ago it burst its heavy ceramic pot, and was again divided into
several plants, which I gave away.  It bloomed quite handsomely this
summer, and had started several new side plants. Then, when I brought it
in this fall it began to have brown tips on the leaves.  The other day
it looked off kilter and when I touched it, the whole top growth fell
off. It seems to have rotted from the roots up.  What happened?  The
only thing I can think of is that I didn't bring it in soon enough. We
were away in the fall and one night temps got down to near freezing.  I
thought that since it was near the house in a protected spot, it would
be all right.  I can't think of any other reason for this to happen.  It
has been a strong, healthy plant for a long time.  I'm very sad.
Logee's has a very small Clivia for about $10.00, but I doubt that it
would reach blooming size in my lifetime.  Maybe someone that I gave a
division to in the past will share with me.