To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Snow!

We got about 9" here. I don't mind shovelling the driveway (it's not
very long), in fact I enjoy it sometimes when the snow is light, but we
have maybe 400 ft of sidewalk for which I am thankful we went in with
the neighbors to buy a snowblower from some other neighbors who were
moving to TX. For that, and to do the bottom 6 ft of the driveway after
the plow has finally gone by...

DH got his hip replaced this week - long saga as it usually ends up with
him - somehow I was thinking I'd just be visiting for a few hours a day,
not spending 12-14 hours being the patient advocate and helper. Learned
a lot (mostly things I hope never to have to use again, though). Hoping
he can come home tomorrow but the incision may be draining too much for
them to release him.

Marge, if you read this, I do hope your hubby is feeling better now. Tough for both of you, and the snow on top of it all.

I picked out a bunch of plants from Crownsville Nursery while in the
surgery waiting room the second time. Probably shouldn't have done that,
as I ended up ordering about 35 plants (what was I thinking?!) nothing
particularly fancy, mostly different varieties of Agastache, Achillea,
and Salvia for my butterfly/bee/hummingbird garden. The deer cleaned out
most of the last third of this garden that I had planted last year
(varieties of phlox and asters), so I will be filling in that area of
the bed with this order. The deer have not bothered the existing
Agastache, Achillea, or Salvia, so I hope for the best, or at least for

I also ordered 3 Viburnum 'Winterthur' to start a new bed in the back
corner - I remember this plant being discussed on this list several
years ago. Any tips?

Also on my list were Lobelia 'Monet Moment', Echinacea 'Fragrant Angel'
and 'Ruby Giant', Lantana 'Miss Huff' (the butterflies loved this when I
had it a couple years ago), and new for me Spigelia marilandica, which
is supposed to be a hummer favorite. Got a (dwarf) Fothergilla 'Blue
Mist' to replace one that is dying, and Hydrangea 'Pia' to be a
container plant.

Now I need to find my mahonia. Identified several west coast suppliers,
but I haven't found one in the eastern half of the country yet.

Just to top it off, one of the cats is having a bladder issue. Thought
it was a urinary tract infection but 2 cycles of antibiotics later,
apparently the problem is a lot of crystals having formed in the
bladder. The x-ray yesterday indicates no stones, so we are trying an
acidifying diet to see if that will take care of it.

Maryland zone 6

EvaTEsq@aol.com wrote:

I prefer to do the shoveling -- I like the exercise. Shoveling has never
bothered me. (Kids also do not seem to be as industrious as they used to be when
I was growing up.)

Actually, we helped my mother-in-law purchase a snowblower last year and my
brother-in-law offered to come over, but I'll probably have it done before he
gets here. I'm going to try to wait until the wind stops howling before I
start shoveling again.

Long Island, NY
Zone 6/7