RE: Wisteria training & snags.... Need some help here...

David, it is the Japanese wisteria "amethyst blue" that I've got my eye on.
It IS a VIGOROUS grower.

One of the sights I visited said:  "Wisteria are easy to train into standard
or "tree" form. Just attach the trunk of the plant to a sturdy 5- or 6-foot
stake and trim all but the topmost branches. Prune as needed to keep the
vine in bounds. The goal is to achieve a bushy top growth that is supported
by the vine's trunk. Remove the stake once the standard is established.
Zones 4-9"

Since it should work with a sturdy 6' stake, I wasn't sure if a tree trunk
might not do something similar.  However, the diameter of the trunk of the
snag is at least 1', so I wasn't too sure whether that might not be too much
of a spiral or whether I could just train it up one side of the snag.  If
so, I might need to limit its height to just 6', but then that is just way
over my head.  (Yes, that was a short joke.)

Blessings,

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)